Friday, 17 August 2007

Perhaps I should keep a reading log like Jenny does. I can't seem to remember half the books I read. Prolly that's just as well, cause if they were really good I'm sure I would remember them anyways. This post is for the books I do remember reading this year, books that I really liked. Do read them and then tell me if you liked them and why.

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

I loved the way this book put me inside the head Lou who is an autistic in a near future. Using special techniques he have learned how to function pretty well in society. Most of the book is written from Lou's point of view and gives fascinating glints of a mind that works in a different way and still very much the same. I just loved the presence Lou has and how close and real he feels. Of course there's a dilemma he's facing and stuff he has to work out for himself, but I won't write anything much, cause I don't want to spoil too much of the plot.

However, I do recommend it, not just for those who love SF, but for those who love people and the process of thinking and how the brain works and a hero who takes things into his own hands and learns and develops.





Watership Down by Richard Adams

This is possibly my favorite book. At least it's the one I read the most cause every year, come end of summer, I really really want to read it again and I always do. I have the Penguin books paper back you can see in the picture and it's getting really worn, so probably I'll have to get another one soon.
I guess the thing I love so much about it is the closeness and the fantastic descriptions of nature and persons, although the persons in this books are rabbits. Rabbits who leave the warren of their birth and set off on a long journey to find a new home and build a life and a future for themselves.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Åh, Watership Down är en av mina favoriter också! Den finns definitivt i omläsningskön. Synd att jag så sällan läser om böcker numera. Det måste ha något att göra med de där två Billysarna fulla med oläst...

Och Speed of Dark vill jag läsa också. Har du läst The curious incident of the dog in the night-time? Också en fascinerande inblick i en annorlunda hjärna.

MatsK said...

http://www.librarything.com ?

:) Jenny said...

Jag läser om böcker hela tiden och köper sällan böcker som jag inte tänker läsa direkt. :) Du har helt klart för många bokhyllor, Jenny.

Du kan få låna min Speed of Dark om du vill. Den ligger i hyllan och tar plats.

Nej, jag har inte läst The curious incident-boken, men jag börjar känna att jag borde.