Saturday, 8 September 2012

Colette Taffy - First fitting

I started my Colette Taffy a month ago at the sewing camp and today I finally picked it up again.

Last month I cut the pieces, in a size 12. I used a rotary cutter on Åsa's gigantic cutting board and I don't think I would have managed otherwise, not without some kind of fabric stabiliser. The fabric is a slippery chiffon and was doing its best to be all over the place.

I also stay stitched according to Sarai's tips. Then I decided to handle the pieces as little as possible, by packing them up and letting them incubate in my closet for a month.

Today I've been home with a sore throat and a bit of a cold and after five hours of Stargate SG-1 I felt like doing something. So, I hand basted the pieces together to try my Taffy on for the first time!

Sadly, I am not overly pleased with the results. I found the overall look frumpy and unflattering.
  • First, the bust darts have that weird pointy thing going on at the top of the dart.
  • Second, there's excess fabric draping in the back.
  • Third, the overall fit is slightly big or at least not very flattering.
  • Forth, the neckline is not really to my liking.
  • Fifth, I have no idea how to improve on point one to four!

1 comment:

tracyh said...

As you stitch your dart decrease your stitch length as you get to the end eventually getting to a 1.0 length. Then just sew off the side of the fabric and don't back stitch. Press with a taylor's ham and that should take care of #1.